Tuesday, April 12, 2011

What's the Story, Morning Glory?

 When I started shopping at my local southern grocery store about 6 months ago, I bought from their bakery a half dozen of Morning Glory muffins. I had never heard of them before, so I thought I'd try them. The idle thought became an addiction, that had me racing back to the corner store pretty often for a half dozen of the lovely things. Carrots, raisins, and walnuts in a pleasingly moist muffin batter. Yum, yum..and yum.

Shortly after the new year, the store raised their price on the muffins by about 40 cents.

Oh,...well I'll still get them.

Then a week ago, they raised them 40 more cents, and they are suspiciously skinner...

Crap.

It became very apparent that I needed to learn how to make these little treats, and fast. With as many as I and my family can eat in a sitting, we'll be bankrupt by the end of October if I keep buying them from the store bakery.

I did some research, as I usually do, and came up with what I hope and think is an awesome recipe for these glorious muffins. Now, don't get me wrong, this recipe could include more and other ingredients. It could be healthier, sure...but for now, I just want the moist, raisiny payoff. And I don't want to pay $4.89 for six of them.


Morning Glory Muffins

1 1/2 C. All Purpose Flour
1/2 C. Wheat Flour
1 1/4 C. sugar
1 Tbsp. cinnamon
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt

2 C. shredded carrot
1 C. raisins
1/2 C. apple butter
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 C. vegetable oil
1/2 C. walnut pieces
2 eggs

Oven at 350 degrees.

Mix all dry ingredients together in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, mix together with wire wisk, eggs and sugar until light yellow in color.


**I like to plump my raisins, by adding them to a cup and a half of warm apple juice for about 10 minutes.**

 Next add the apple butter, vanilla, and veg. oil to your egg mixture and wisk until well combined. Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and fold together until just incorporated. Then add carrots, plumped raisins, and walnuts. DO NOT OVER STIR!!

 Place batter into your favorite muffin tin, pan, or baking cup. Just make sure to grease whatever you use well with oil or spray. I used my mini loaf pans! 


Bake at 350 for about 20-30 minutes, depending on oven and personal preference.


 These are so moist, and really, even better the next day...as long as you wrap them up well the night before. I'm seriously considering making several batches of these at a time. I think I have a problem....correction, I know I have a problem, but look at this much more economical and tasty solution to feeding my habit! 

Now, to get going on that strawberry pie....

3 comments:

  1. Hey I'm going to try your recipe sometime, but I did post a recipe for Morning Glory Muffins last year. If you look on my blog in March of 2010 you'll see them. Here's the link...not sure if it'll work for you or not. I don't think I've ever left a link in the comment section.
    http://thebeeladyfromhilltopfarm.blogspot.com/2010/03/i-made-these-muffins-couple-of-weeks.html

    I heard about you through Nicki.

    Cindy Bee

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Cindy! I appreciate the link. Thanks so much for coming to my page! I look forward to looking at yours. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for linking this up..A great way to organized what you find & shares in your blog...
    College Essays

    ReplyDelete